Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Joys of Moving...

The other day I updated my 'status' on Facebook: "Fairlight is wondering why she owns so much stuff when all she needs for six months fits in a suitcase."

I have to admit this whole thing has had me puzzling for a couple of weeks now. As I packed and sorted box after box to be stored away I started contemplating my need for so much stuff.

My whole household and furniture, minus a washer, dryer, and fridge, fit into my grandmother's living room; a room she is currently not using. To some this may seem like an amazingly small amount of belongings, but to me it has become overwhelming. As I packed all the items I feel I need to take with me to Mexico for the next six months into a large duffel and carry-on, I started thinking hard about what must be in those 20 odd boxes. Some hold useful household items, some- picture frames and other decorative items, some- kitchen appliances, still others hold items that I use for hobbies or leisure activities.

The question arises; if I can live without them for 6 months, why not a year? What items are left behind because they will be provided for me? Am I forced to leave some behind for lack of space or are they really unnecessary? What is needed versus what is wanted?

This whole packing/moving/leaving the country episode has left me seriously contemplating all the items I own and I suppose I will continue to contemplate the same issues when I return and get ready to move it all over again. For now, it is me and my suitcase heading to Mexico. See you south of the border!

1 comment:

Gregg Koskela said...

You know, I noticed that on your facebook status and thought you were being quite thoughtful. This post shows I was right. Thanks for sharing what you're wrestling through!