Today I felt like the human pillow. This weekend the house mom for the Cuna (the little kids house-3 to 5 year olds) is in Oaxaca so I have been helping care for the three kids along with a university student that is staying in the house. Today in church, 3-year-old Cris fell asleep in my lap and slept through the whole sermon, and might have kept on sleeping except that the ending song came on with full-blast trumpts and drums and the poor thing was jolted awake. On the way home, 4-year-old Luz fell asleep in my lap (Yes, we pile on each other's laps here). She is my tocaya (same name) and I have already gotten so used to being called Luz (easier for native Spanish speakers to say than Fairlight) that I often respond when people are in fact talking to Lucita (little Luz). I love being able to be a part of the lives of these children and was reminded today as I was used as a bed by two of them, of something God told me a while back...I might not have children of my own, but God has children in this world that He wants me to love and for the next five months, these are a few of those He has placed in my life to love. I will try to add a picture if I can. To me they are precious and espeically touch my heart when they pretend to have Sala (really living room, but the word used for morning devotions here because we meet in the sala). Friday Dani led "sala" while we were playing together. He handed out 'Bibles' and 'songbooks' to each of us. I was instructed to translate (you can tell they are used to both languages being used frequently). He picked songs from the 'song book' and then led us in the reading from the Bible. Their favorite song right now is 'Yo tengo un amigo que me ama...su nombre es Jesus' I have a friend that loves me...his name is Jesus. Their little voices raised in praise, or in the sung prayer before meals, reminds me of the amazing reality of God's love for all people, no matter what age, size, race, language, or background. Since God loves them I must love them too--although these particular children of God are not hard to love at all. Dios Bendiga.
2 comments:
Very sweet. I can imagine how tender and uplifting those moments are. There's nothing more enjoyable than holding kids when they're calm and peaceful, all warm and snuggly! Can't wait for more pics!
Fairlight,
I am going to pray for you while you are there. Listen to God's still small voice as you discern what your calling is. I am proud of you to be so brave and set off on such an adventure. I look forward to more of your posts so that I can live through your adventures. Mine are at www.idas4some.blogspot.com.
Tara Romero
Post a Comment