Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The First Day of School

Here in Mexico, school is a lot different than in the states. First of all, it is public, but there are so many costs to attend school that it makes it harder for some kids to attend. Kids have to have uniforms and have to purchase all materials for their use in the classsroom as well as pay school fees. However, they all look pretty cute when they do go off to school in their uniforms. Kindergarten here is three years, so kids start when they are three and finish when they are five. Yesterday I had the great joy of picking up our three kindergarten students after their first day of school. They were all smiles, but the greatest joy was picking up our three-year-old. It was his first day of school ever. Over the weekend when we talked about going to school on Monday, he always piped up, "Yo tambiƩn," Me too! Unfortunately, we were not told that his class would be released an hour earlier than the others so when I showed up to get him, there he was, sitting all by himself in the classroom with the teacher, but still full of smiles that he had gone to school.

I can't find any other word but joy to describe my feelings when I got to pick them up. I had to include some pictures here because everyone needs first day pictures and they were just so cute!!

2 comments:

Judy said...

They are DARLING! Btw, send me some info about sponsoring a child. We're interested! :)

curnes said...

The kids in that picture are so darn cute!!!! Oh my gosh. I bet you come home with one!!
School is tough at the beginning of the year but it seems to get a teeny bit easier every day.
I love reading your blog.
Carolyn