Monday, November 24, 2008

The Gift of Hope

I've realized what a privalege and learning experience it has been living here at the Mission. I have been around and worked with kids from a variety of backgrounds:
  • Kids with parents in prison
  • Kids who grew up on the streets (or in prison)
  • Kids who have been abused
  • Kids who have been sexually abused
  • Kids who lived in the dump
  • Kids who parents love them, but can't provide for them and make the hard decision to bring them here because they hope for more for their kids

It boggles my mind the lives these kids have had. But what amazes me even more is the effect of a healthy, loving atmosphere.

  • Kids who come shy and reserved and scared who turn to laughing
  • Kids with discipline problems and problems with authority who turn to voluntarily hugging an adult
  • Kids who have become mute due to abuse who glow with hope

What a gift God gives us to be a part of their lives, even if only for a little bit. I feel absolutely blessed to watch these children grow.

No comments: