Sunday, October 23, 2011

Creating My Own Adventures

What does a gal do as she approaches thirty? Well, I could just sit around moping about the things in my life that aren’t what I had hoped for, or I could get out and live life. The second option sounds a lot more exciting if you ask me. So, I borrowed an idea from a friend of mine and wrote up a list of 30 things I want to do before I turn 30. It has lovingly become known as my “30 before 30” list. Not long after my 28th birthday, I sat down and wrote out my list. Most of it I wrote in the car on a trip back from the beach, with my sister adding comments. The first ten or so were easy, and then it became more difficult to come up with plausible things that I wanted to do. I mean, visiting Europe, Africa, Australia and Asia would be on there, but I now have less than 2 years to complete the list. Money and time constraints must be taken into consideration. Several of the things I was ashamed, as a native-Oregonian, to place on my list, because they are classic Oregon tourist places that I have not been to yet. However, that is why they are on the list. They are things I should do as an Oregonian.

Here is my current list, although you can see I am still in need of about 5 more items. If you have suggestions, feel free to pass them along. Of course, I have final say, but if you know of something interesting I must do, let me know. Especially if it is an “Oregon” thing I should do. I am also open to anyone joining me on one of these adventures, and I am looking for people who can teach me the things I have never done before. Feel free to volunteer!

In no particular order…

1. Visit Crater Lake

2. “Run” a half-marathon

3. Visit Multnomah Falls

4. Visit Newport Aquarium

5. Visit the Oregon Sea Lion Caves

6. Go skydiving

7. Swim with dolphins

8. Run Hood to Coast (since this one involves a team and lottery, the back up is walk the Portland to Coast)- if anyone needs a back-up member this next year, let me know!

9. Hike part of the Pacific Crest Trail

10. Rock climb at Smith Rock

11. Try snowshoeing or cross-country skiing

12. Finish my Masters Degree

13. Climb the Astoria Column

14. Visit Mt. St. Helens

15. Go clamming

16. Visit Timberline Lodge

17. Ride on a motorcycle

18. Move into my own place

19. Learn to change the oil in my car

20. Eastern Oregon trip- Fossil Beds, Oregon Trail Interpretive Center, etc.

21. Go fly-fishing

22. Visit Silver Falls

23. Visit the Chinese Garden in Portland

24. Go for a helicopter ride

25.

26.

27.

28.

29.

30.

Until next time...

Bring on the adventures!!

No comments: