I will say, I don't know if any of the parents of my students in the states can complain about their child's homework unless there is just too much of it. Here in Mexico the parents also get to do a lot of the prep of school materials as well. Besides helping explain math homework, trying to decipher Oaxacan history (in Spanish) and explain it to an 8-year-old, and making sure cursive/handwriting homework was done well; I also got to put contact paper on about 100 little letters and the game pieces for a game of memory, help glue gameboards onto cardboard, sew papers together, make sure kids had dice, tissue paper and other items for school activities, and cover school books with plastic. These poor little kids lug 6-7 books home each day depending on their homework, along with 3-4 spiral notebooks. May I remind you they are as young as 6. It is definitely a different system.
Helping my little charges with homework...nine boys, five different grades, five different sets of homework, two white girls with broken Spanish to help get it all done!
On top of all of this it was just a crazy week at the mission. Hurricane-tpye storm on Monday night with wind, hail, rain and, eventually, no electricity. Craziness for a house of boys, although fun at the same time. Concussion watch for two of our boys on Tuesday night. Up and down every three hours to check for conciousness. Attempting to parent nine boys when I can't say everything I want to in Spanish.
It will be a time I remember fondly though, even for the lack of sleep. The boys are all boy, but loving just the same. I got at least nine hugs and kisses each night as well as requests for songs to be sung at bedtime. A night of all of us being laid out on the floor and couches watching a movie together. Lots of trials, lots of noise, lots of paper airplanes, lots of snuggles, a million questions, and lots of fun. I have to say though, I am ready for a nap.
Snuggle/story time with seven of the nine.
No comments:
Post a Comment