Thursday, June 21, 2012

#12 Finish my Masters Degree


I have decided that my creative writing skills have gone out the window, or maybe they were non-existent to begin with.  Having been complemented on my writing for my comprehensive exams, maybe I will take the route of blaming the fact that all of my writing skills were used up on writing the eleven essays in 7 hours that were needed to pass the comprehensive exams.  Whatever the reason, when I sat down to write this post, all I could think of was writing an anecdotal list of the happenings of yesterday.  I will try and do better than that, but we shall see.  
The truth of the matter is that graduation day was an adventure from beginning to end.  I am so glad that I chose to participate in graduation because it brought good closure to the three-year journey that has been my masters, but it was a sweltering day to say the least.  The day began with an adventure of its own.  My boyfriend Aaron came to pick me up at my house in his brand-spanking new car (in a beautiful Nautical Blue Metallic).  After making sure I had everything for the day, we packed up his car and got in.  The next scene was like stepping into a movie...first a few bikes passed us.  Then, as we got ready to pull away from the curb, a slow, yet steadily growing pack of runners started around the corner and began to surround us.  The wonderful Habitat for Humanity "Run, Walk, Ride" was engulfing our car, making it very difficult to go anywhere.  I love Habitat for Humanity and my beautiful city, but it would have been nice if, besides the signs noting the route, they would have let us know that between 9am and whatever time it ended, it would be nearly impossible for us to leave our houses.  This wouldn't have been a problem except for the fact that I needed to get to my graduation ceremony.  I wish I would have thought to get a picture!  We eventually were able to force the runners to notice us and we were able to turn around in order to get off of the racing route and on our way down to commencement.  It actually was quite humorous, but a little nerve-wrecking at first because we really didn't know the safest way to maneuver.  
It was a beautiful, scenic drive to campus where we were able to get a good parking spot and meet up with my parents.  Then I headed off to the hot and sweaty gym filled with over 800 people in robes, while my parents and Aaron went to find seats in the quickly approaching 80-degree sun.  
Courtney, Haley, and myself; Bilingual Teachers!
After an hour of milling around, getting in lines, getting checked in, snapping a couple of pictures with friends, listening to directions we couldn't understand (I decided I should have taken ASL classes because it would have been easier to "listen" to the signing interpreter than to understand the man on the microphone), we finally headed out to the sweltering field.  


My graduation buddy Andri- an international student from Indonesia
Once there we got to sit in black robes with the equivalent of a scarf around our necks in the hot sun, while everyone filed in and the speakers spoke.  I know, I make it sound like an absolutely wonderful experience.  I really am glad that I walked, but it was slightly close to unbearable sitting in 80+ degree weather with no water for 2 1/2 hours.  Luckily only one person had to be checked by the medics.  
In all honesty, minus the fact that most of the speeches were actually aimed at the undergrad students, the speakers did a great job of keeping it short yet poignant.  The man who read the names off was absolutely amazing!  He had a great announcers voice and was able to read the names quickly.  Once I realized the pace he was going to set I wasn't quite so worried about passing out from the heat knowing there were at least 800 names to be read before mine (undergrad went first).  He also did an amazing job of pronouncing the Chinese, Arabic, Indonesian and Hispanic names (as well as others) that he was faced with.  The photographers at the end of the ramp couldn't keep up with him he was so fluid!
With all the names read we were able to leave the hot sun and meet up with friends and family.  I feel so blessed that my parents and boyfriend were willing to sit in the hot sun through the whole ceremony!  It was a blessing to have them there to give hugs and congratulations after the fact. 
Doused in flour, oatmeal, mate and egg per Argentine "pass your exams" tradition.
Myself and two other girls who went to Argentina with me ended our time together with an Argentinian celebration of graduation; our friends and family doused us with flour, eggs, oatmeal and mate.  It was a great, fun way to celebrate the end of a long journey.  I am so thankful to my family (who celebrated with me that evening) and all of my friends and church community who walked with me along the way; who encouraged me, supported me, prayed for me and loved me as I worked full time and went to school.  It was a journey well-worth it, although I am glad it is over.  
It is now "Master Fairlight" to you.
***By the way, a note to my university- although it probably makes things easier and is more convenient for professors, etc.  It really is a little frustrating to be a graduate student at your commencement.  Most of the speakers are actually speaking to the undergraduate students.  I did not "discover myself" at your university but rather grew in my identity as an educator.  I did not start this discovery process at the age of 18 when I first walked on campus, because I was already 26 when I walked on your campus.  I did not spend late nights in Hammersly Library, because I spent late nights on my laptop at coffee shops in my home town, or at my house.  I didn't even know there was a New York Bagel Company in town because I as only on campus for  one night a week at most, and that was to attend class.  I am not taking my first steps out on my own...I've been there for the last 7 years.  Just thought you should know.    
The "30 before 30"
I have 24 more items to complete on my list (which might sound somewhat impressive until you find out that I only have 13 months left to go).  Guess I better get busy!
1. Visit Crater Lake
2. “Run” a half-marathon
3. Visit Multnomah Falls
4. Visit Newport Aquarium
5. Visit the Oregon Sea Lion Caves
6. Go skydiving
7. Swim with dolphins
8. Run Hood to Coast- This one might have to come a week or two after my 30th birthday since I am not on a team this year...
9. Hike part of the Pacific Crest Trail
10. Rock climb at Smith Rock
11. Try snowshoeing or cross-country skiing
12. Finish my Masters Degree 
13. Climb the Astoria Column
14. Visit Mt. St. Helens
15. Go clamming 
16. Visit Timberline Lodge
17. Ride on a motorcycle
18. Move into my own place
19. Learn to change the oil in my car
20. Eastern Oregon trip- Fossil Beds, Oregon Trail Interpretive Center, etc.
21. Go fly-fishing (by the way, I’m looking for an expert to help me out with this one)
22. Visit Silver Creek Falls
23. Visit the Chinese Garden in Portland
24. Go for a helicopter ride
25. Learn about photography- I don’t know if this will amount to a class or “lessons” from someone more knowledgeable, but I would love to become more knowledgeable about photography and invest in a good camera.
26. Go speed dating- this one is just because I am curious what this is really like and I am not doing this one alone!
27. Run the Warrior Dash
28. Visit a continent I haven't visited before (Asia, Africa, Australia, Europe, Antarctica)- What does Western Russia count as?
29. Take an out-of-state trip with friends (road trip?)
30. To Be Decided (last one to be completed…maybe something extra fun for my 30th birthday)

No comments: