Sunday, June 3, 2012

#22 Visit Silver Creek Falls



Number 22 (visit Silver Creek Falls) was checked off my list a week ago Saturday.  I don't know why I have never been there before.  I know several of you had to pick your jaws up off the ground when I told you that I had not been there (of course that is true for several of the Oregon tourist sites on my list), and I really don't know why I have never been out there, but I can guarantee that that will not be the last time I visit this gorgeous place.  The hiking is good and the waterfalls are beautiful!.  I was blessed to go with a friend of mine and we were able to make a 5 mile hike before we needed to return home.  Although I have been to Iguazu Falls in Argentina, which is amazingly breathtaking by its sheer size, Silver Creek Falls is a wonderful place to enjoy Oregon beauty.  I realized it has been a long time since I have gotten out into nature simply to be in nature and I loved it.  Being around God's amazing creation, watching birds, traipsing behind waterfalls and admiring Oregon forest is a true gift.  I simply don't know what else to say about it.  MInus the large amount of people (it was Memorial Day weekend after all) it was a great place to hike, relax, reflect and spend time with a good friend.  I feel very blessed to live in a place where there is this kind of beauty.    
For some reason I really liked this one.  Not the tallest or most impressive, but I loved the way the tree fell across it.

Lovin' nature on the hike...
The "30 before 30"
1. Visit Crater Lake
2. “Run” a half-marathon
3. Visit Multnomah Falls
4. Visit Newport Aquarium
5. Visit the Oregon Sea Lion Caves
6. Go skydiving
7. Swim with dolphins
8. Run Hood to Coast (since this one involves a team and lottery, the back up is walk the Portland to Coast)- if anyone needs a back-up member this next year, let me know!
9. Hike part of the Pacific Crest Trail
10. Rock climb at Smith Rock
11. Try snowshoeing or cross-country skiing
12. Finish my Masters Degree (very close...two more weeks till graduation)
13. Climb the Astoria Column
14. Visit Mt. St. Helens
15. Go clamming (August?- Lynnae? Let me know dates!!)
16. Visit Timberline Lodge
17. Ride on a motorcycle
18. Move into my own place
19. Learn to change the oil in my car
20. Eastern Oregon trip- Fossil Beds, Oregon Trail Interpretive Center, etc.
21. Go fly-fishing (by the way, I’m looking for an expert to help me out with this one)
22. Visit Silver Creek Falls
23. Visit the Chinese Garden in Portland
24. Go for a helicopter ride
25. Learn about photography- I don’t know if this will amount to a class or “lessons” from someone more knowledgeable, but I would love to become more knowledgeable about photography and invest in a good camera.
26. Go speed dating- this one is just because I am curious what this is really like and I am not doing this one alone!
27. Run the Warrior Dash
28. Visit a continent I haven't visited before (Asia, Africa, Australia, Europe, Antarctica)- What does Western Russia count as?
29. Take an out-of-state trip with friends (road trip?)- trip planned for July...stay tuned
30. To Be Decided (last one to be completed…maybe something extra fun for my 30th birthday)

No comments: