Friday, August 17, 2012

#1- Visit Crater Lake



What does one do when invited to tag along on a camping trip to Crater Lake that someone else is doing most of the planning for?  Why accept of course!  I love when things like this happen...when I have a free weekend towards the end of my summer and friends plan an impromptu trip to Southern Oregon.  My boyfriend did laugh at me when I said I was taking a weekend trip with friends (he was invited but couldn't get away) because it meant that I would be heading to the same area of Southern Oregon two weekends in a row (we had attended a wedding near Roseburg the weekend before).  Oh well, sometimes a girl has to do what a girl has to, or wants to, do. All I have to say is that I was incredibly blessed by this trip.  The immense beauty of the lake, the incredible rock cliffs, the waterfalls and wildflowers along hikes; it was all breathtaking in my mind.  Combine that with a great campsite and wonderful friends and there isn't much that would have made it better.

Old fashioned road trip with maps and all...
and some google directions- but no Smart Phone!
The four of us girls (my friend and her two daughters) headed down first while her husband and another friend of theirs came down later Thursday night (her husband had to work Thursday).  We tackled the long, hot drive and arrived at the park to be greeted by a lovely British Ranger who looked at my ID and then looked at me and said, "Your name is Fairlight?!" "Yes." "Did you know there is a town in England named Fairlight?" "Well, yes I did, cause the last time I looked up my name I found it." "It is just the next town over from where I am from and from my parent's front window you can see Fairlight Church."-- I think that may be my favorite conversation about my name I have ever had.  The trip was off to a great start.
Our first stop was the lodge to see if there were any boat tickets left for Friday.  Bethany was able to purchase the last 6 tickets for a boat trip out to Wizard Island and three hours on the island before coming back.  We couldn't believe the blessing that God had given us.  Then on to Lost Creek Campground in hopes of securing a campsite for the weekend...God was amazing yet again as we snagged the last available campsite.  With a sigh of relief we thanked God for His amazing ability to provide for our every need as well as extras and set up the tents.  I think it may have been at this point that we realized we had mis-packed a little.  We had brought the tents, the food we needed for the night and several other necessities, but, thinking that the boys would be down that same night (albeit not until 11pm) we had not brought the sleeping bags or pads.  That meant that we couldn't very well send the girls to bed.  Bad planning! (and oh the irony God!)  But, after a drive up to the rim, beautiful views of the lake, and the girls getting the chance to get up close and personal with the tiny ground squirrels, we made a fire from wood we collected near the campsite and sent the girls to bed in my car- which they considered a grand adventure.
Friday brought our boat trip out to Wizard Island, a climb to the summit of Wizard Island, a boat tour of the lake, making new friends as we jumped off a cliff to go swimming in the lake, and hiking back home to eat a late dinner around the campfire.
From the top of Wizard Island
Found a cave to crawl through!
Phantom Ship from the boat tour.
Jumping off of rocks into the lake! 

Saturday we realized just how blessed we were to get to go on our boat tour Friday.  Forest fires near Eugene and the border of Oregon and California meant smoke rolling in to the Crater.  On Saturday you could barely see across the lake and the brilliant blue that had been there the day before was lost in the haze.  We made ourselves content with hikes- Pinnacles Trail, Castle Crest (my fav with wildflowers and running water), Sun Notch, a drive to the highest paved road in Oregon, Plaikini Falls and Watchman Peak to watch a blood red sun set behind the mountains.
From my favorite hike.
Hazy day...can't even see across the lake.
Plaikni Falls

The hazy sunset on Saturday from Watchman Peak.
The trip was amazing and I had so much fun.  It was a blessing to me to be able to get away for the weekend in such a fun and relaxing way!



*9 down, 21 to go

The "30 before 30"
1. Visit Crater Lake
2. “Run” a half-marathon
3. Visit Multnomah Falls
4. Visit Newport Aquarium
5. Visit the Oregon Sea Lion Caves
6. Go skydiving
7. Swim with dolphins
8. Run Hood to Coast- This one might have to come a week or two after my 30th birthday since I am not on a team this year...
9. Hike part of the Pacific Crest Trail
10. Rock climb at Smith Rock
11. Try snowshoeing or cross-country skiing
12. Finish my Masters Degree 
13. Climb the Astoria Column
14. Visit Mt. St. Helens
15. Go clamming
16. Visit Timberline Lodge
17. Ride on a motorcycle
18. Move into my own place
19. Learn to change the oil in my car
20. Eastern Oregon trip- Fossil Beds, Oregon Trail Interpretive Center, etc.
21. Go fly-fishing
22. Visit Silver Creek Falls
23. Visit the Chinese Garden in Portland
24. Go for a helicopter ride
25. Learn about photography- I don’t know if this will amount to a class or “lessons” from someone more knowledgeable, but I would love to become more knowledgeable about photography and invest in a good camera.
26. (still deciding what this should be since it can't be speed dating)
27. Run the Warrior DashI will actually be doing this one again in September!
28. Visit a continent I haven't visited before (Asia, Africa, Australia, Antarctica)
29. Take an out-of-state trip with friends (road trip?)
30. To Be Decided (last one to be completed…maybe something extra fun for my 30th birthday)

No comments: