Thursday, October 11, 2012

#26- Go to a Timbers Game





Well I was in need of a replacement for number 26 because there was no way I was going to go speed dating while in the middle of a relationship with a wonderful guy.  Plus, the more I looked into it, the more I thought that it is definitely not a dating set-up for introverts.  I would probably only survive if I put on a fake persona, and I don't know if I would be able to keep up on the lie throughout multiple dates.  I mean, the events that I looked at there was the optional pre-dating mixer (otherwise known as "great time for extroverts to show off and drink before sitting down at tables together while introverts hide in a corner and begin to lose their chance at good dates from the beginning").  Then there is the multiple date conversations and, if that isn't enough for an introvert, you can also partake in a post-date mixer to pick up numbers if things went really well.  Otherwise you can go home and enter in who you liked on the dates and find out later if they agreed or not...in other words lots and lots of chances for rejection.  In theory it sounded like fun, but the more I thought about it, I wasn't going without friends and none of my friends seemed excited about this (I don't know why not).  So, several weeks ago when my man got tickets for a Timbers game it suddenly dawned on me...why was a Timbers game not on my list?  Having enjoyed soccer games in other countries and living in the Portland area, attending a Portland Timbers game is definitely an Oregon must-do.  Just bring your headphones if you plan on sitting in the Timbers Army section (which is where we were).  The added excitement of the game was we won (love how I have been to one game, own no team gear and I include myself in the win?)!  This did mean that I got to experience the green fog and extra cheering after the goal.  It was a good game, although I am not an expert on soccer and haven't watched enough to know how they fit into the world of soccer.  I will say that Portland does a good job of living up to the soccer culture.  The energy around the stadium before the game is great with everyone in their Timber gear.  There is chanting throughout the game; lovely inappropriate gestures and comments towards the other team that show that Portland can compete with other countries in their poor sportsmanship, and, of course, a soccer game to watch.  I have to admit, I always get confused halfway through soccer games because they switch goals.  I get really good at following "my team" and getting excited at the appropriate times, and then they confuse me and switch everything on me.  Plus, I am such a people watcher that I forget to watch the game.  I mean, between the babies with sound blocking headphones brought by their parents with season tickets around their necks, the team down in front of the army leading the various chants, and the large crowd of interesting characters, it is sometimes hard to keep an eye on the ball down on the field.  However, when you do, it is fun to watch the fancy footwork and the amazing sprinting.   


You might not be able to see it, but everyone has
 their scarves off and they are holding them up

No comments: