Having asked these questions and looking over my list, I have found that there are several things that I want to change. I enjoy running and like to run for fun, but I am not really someone who needs to train for a long run in order to feel successful. Just because everyone around me seems to be running marathons does not mean I need to in order to be successful or feel like I have accomplished something in my life. Training for a half-marathon actually does not sound like fun; it takes all of the fun out of running for me (plus I find I easily get bored running). I might want to at some point (and I do feel somewhat like a quitter for removing it from my list), but with the winter months setting in and less hours of light in order to run, I don't feel like putting myself through months of guilt and shame if I am not ready to run a half-marathon in the spring.
I have also realized that a few items are going to be slightly difficult to complete or are no longer of interest to me. Instead of visiting a new continent, I might just need to put in "get another stamp in my passport" whether that is a new continent or an old familiar one. After viewing the webcam for the Sea Lion Caves, I don't feel it is worth the drive. I would like to visit Eastern Oregon, but I am not sure that it will happen before my 30th birthday. So, the list has morphed a little, and I think that will be alright. I want to enjoy life, not feel pressure to accomplish things that might not be fun for me after all.
I have decided that what I really need to be asking is: Am I following God in the way that He wants me to? Do I find joy in life? With those at the core of what I want my life to be about, here is the modified list that is still subject to change; not to make it easier (I am a little competitive after all), but to make sure that completing these activities adds to the enjoyment of my life, not the stress level of my life.
The "30 before 30"
18 items and 9 months to go
2. Visit ZooLights (Washington Park Zoo)
4. Visit Newport Aquarium
5. Visit the Japanese Gardens
7. Swim with dolphins
8. Try oysters
9. Hike part of the Pacific Crest Trail
10. Rock climb at Smith Rock
11. Try snowshoeing or cross-country skiing
13. Climb the Astoria Column
14. Visit Mt. St. Helens
15. Go clamming
16. Visit Timberline Lodge
20. Go whale watching on the Oregon Coast
21. Learn how to go fly-fishing
24. Go for a helicopter ride
25. Learn about photography
28. Get another stamp in my passport
30. To Be Decided (last one to be completed…maybe something extra fun for my 30th birthday)
Back-up ideas (for fun): Learn to skateboard, visit the Oregon Interpretive Center, trek through Ape Caves, learn the Thriller Dance, visit the John Day Fossil Beds, eat at Voodoo Doughnuts, visit Malheur Wildlife Refugee
No comments:
Post a Comment