Back up. The first thing that must be done here is for a correction to be made. I wanted the heading of this post to match my current list, but the true heading should be "Visit the Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport" because it really isn't the Newport Aquarium. That is just where it is located. Funny how that is what I have always heard it called.
Okay- now the short, but sweet story. There isn't much to tell. One of my good friends reserved the right to visit the aquarium with me, so one day in March, when we were both free, we headed out to the coast to look at fishies. It was actually quite a beautiful day and we got to enjoy some sunshine on our drive. We also enjoyed a few detours on the way home to visit viewpoints and lighthouses. Nothing like a drive down the coast to lift the spirits.
We grabbed some food, parked and began our self-guided tour. The aquarium is split up into different areas to show the unique settings of the Oregon Coast. I was intrigued by the different set-ups and the science that is on display. What amazing things scientists have discovered about various environments. Somedays I wish my life was all about researching a specific ecosystem and the different ways changes impact the environment and the animals that live there. Of course there are lots of research and study jobs that I think would be interesting, so perhaps what this really shows is that I am a big nerd.
We got to see the adorable otters eating and spent quite a bit of time in the shark tunnel watching all the different sharks and fish swimming all around us and attempting to get a picture of us with a shark in the background...a much harder feat than it might seem. I got to see seahorses, jellyfish of different shapes, sizes and colors, giant Japanese crabs and touch different animals in the tide pool area. Yay, Oregon Coast Aquarium for making a fun hands-on place for kids to learn about the ocean!
The saddest part was that they were remodeling the seals and sea lions area so we didn't get to see those animals- which would have been fun.
Overall a very enjoyable day. Here's to number 4 on the list!
| Oh no! I'm being eaten! |
| Cute little otter eating his lunch. |
| The shark tunnel |
No comments:
Post a Comment