You know those unforeseen opportunities I talked
about a few posts ago? This is one of them.
Buck Williams, Terry Porter,
Clyde Drexler, Jerome Kersey. Cliff Robinson. Those are the Blazer names with
which I am most familiar. The era of my childhood. I even have proof of my (limited)
following of the Blazers. It was probably partly due to my brother and dad
being fans. Even though my brother is younger than I am, I still wanted to do
lots of things that he did. And so, at a young age, I was a Portland
Trailblazer fan.
You might say, I held on to
this hometown pride. I would get excited when the Blazers were doing well, but
didn’t follow in any particular way. I can name Brian Grant (yes, I loved his
hair), and Brandon Roy…two players, who in my eyes, tried to hold together a,
at times, pretty depressing team (remember---not a true fan, don’t necessarily
have all of my facts straight).
And so it comes to this. I
know no names of Blazer players. I don’t know who coaches them any more, or who
owns them, or whether they play at the Rose Garden or the Moda Center (okay,
kidding about that last one). And yet, I married a true Blazer fan. Someone who
checks box scores, knows the different positions and which Blazer plays them,
can tell if a guarding match up is in one players favor or another’s, cheers
and mourns with the team, but is always faithful. As the season progressed and
I heard excited cheers each game evening from my husband as he checked ESPN, I
knew what his Christmas present had to be. Especially after once or twice he
would talk about the excitement of games and how it was something that we
should do together.
Thursday night it was our
first ever, date night to the Blazers. Blazers versus the Clippers. It was
going to be a good game, and they didn’t disappoint. I won’t put all of the
details because those can be easily looked up, complete with highlight clips
from the game and people commenting who are much more knowledgeable in this
area than me (heck, I know 10-year-olds with more knowledge in this area than
me). However, I will say, it was highly entertaining. This team has great
3-point shooters, highly creative passing style, and teamwork. Perhaps that is
one of my favorite things. When a team has one really good player and everyone
else plays backup to that player, it isn’t quite as exciting as having several
good players who support each other.
![]() | ||
| My Blazer gear- even though I don't really deserve it. |
“We” were ahead the whole
game until the 4th quarter, when things started going down hill. So
much so, that the 2 girls seated next to us decided to leave during a timeout
with 10 seconds left in the game and the Blazers down by 3. Bad time to leave,
ladies. They came in from the time out and Batum hit a 3-point shot to tie the
game, leading to overtime. They battled back and forth, keeping us all on our
feet for the entire 5 minutes and won, 116-112, partly due to foul shots
(thanks Clippers!). Awesome game. Awesome date. After watching live for the
first time (I wanted to get a certificate and button for my first game, but
they said it was just for kids) I might be a Blazermaniac. Rip City!



1 comment:
I forgot to write that one of my other favorite things is how they include the fans in so many things...from passing the game ball down through the fans, to the kids who greet the players, to the idea of the 6th man. Very fun! Now Robin Lopez et.al. just need to expand the reading program outside of the Portland School District. I have several boys who are huge NBA fans and would love a visit from him.
Post a Comment