Saturday, November 9, 2013

The NEW "30 by the end of 30" countdown

I must admit it. I am a little disappointed. Browsing at a bookstore yesterday I ran across this book:
I Dare Me by Lu Ann Cahn. 

Product Details
picture courtesy of Amazon.com

It is her story of how she tried something new each day for a year in order to "reboot and recharge" her life. That is what this whole adventure has been for me. A chance to take the life I was given, that I had allowed to become dragged down and depressed, and to get out there and do some new things. Now how am I going to make my millions off of turning this blog into a book?! How will I pay for my mansion and tour of the world?! It will just be considered a repeat idea. No longer will there be a market for the book: "30 by 30: One Girl's Quest to Get Out There and Do Something That Turned Into a Time of Personal Growth and Self Reflection" (I'm still working on the title).

I guess I will have to just live out what this whole experience has taught me over and over and over again. To be truly joyful we must be thankful for what we are given, live fully into who we are created to be, and find adventure, sometimes even in the mundane things of life.
I wasn't able to complete everything by my 30th birthday, but as Aaron's dad declared---why not make it by the end of your time being 30. So, here are the last 8 things on my list (what?!). As always, subject to change because life isn't about a checklist, life is about living in a way that is always open to the possibility that what you never imagined possible could happen right before your very eyes. Who knows- maybe these things won't be done because of some amazing opportunity presenting itself instead. You can't close your eyes to those possibilities just because you are focused on checking things off a list.  
8 items and 9 months to go

1. Visit Crater Lake
2. Visit ZooLights (Washington Park Zoo)
3. Visit Multnomah Falls
4. Visit Newport Aquarium
5. Visit the Oregon Gardens
6. Go skydiving
7. Swim with dolphins
8. Try oysters
9. Hike part of the Pacific Crest Trail
10. Rock climb at Smith Rock
11. Try snowshoeing or cross-country skiing
12. Finish my Masters Degree 
13. Climb the Astoria Column
14. Visit Mt. St. Helens
15. Go clamming
16. Visit Timberline Lodge
17. Ride on a motorcycle
18. Move into my own place
19. Learn to change the oil in my car
20. Go whale watching on the Oregon Coast
21. Learn how to go fly-fishing
22. Visit Silver Creek Falls
23. Visit the Chinese Garden in Portland
24. Go for a helicopter ride
25. Learn about photography (resulting in justifying buying a better camera)
26. Go to a Timbers game
27. Run the Warrior Dash- done twice!
28. Get another stamp in my passport
29. Take an out-of-state trip with friends (road trip?)
30. GET MARRIED!!!

Back-up ideas (for fun): Learn to skateboard, visit the Oregon Interpretive Center, trek through Ape Caves, learn the Thriller Dance, visit the John Day Fossil Beds, visit Malheur Wildlife Refugee, go to an Oregon Native American powwow, try Voo Doo Doughnuts

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can help/want to do several things on your list! Come to my parent's house in July and we can go clamming, I totally want to learn the thriller dance with you, Ben can teach you more about photography and help instruct you on a fancy camera to buy, I have friends who can teach us to fly fish. Please say we can get together for at least some of this! Miss you heaps!!!!!!!!
-Lynnae