Watching soccer in Argentina may have just made me a fan for the rest of my life. I never watched a lot of soccer before, but during our trip, Copa America (or The American Cup) has been taking place in Argentina. This is a soccer competition between all of the countries of Central and South America as well as Mexico. You can’t really talk about the recent Copa America with Argentineans right now- Argentina lost to Uruguay in during the quarterfinals, even though they were supposed to have had one of the best teams out there. However, as I mentioned before, actually watching soccer for probably the first time, I think I might be hooked. This is because there is actually a lot of skill involved in soccer. Sorry to all of you football fans, but American football is a lot of heavy guys throwing their weight around. Some of them, their only talent is being large enough to knock everyone else down.
In soccer, you can’t get away with being out of shape. You have to book it down the field several times during the game and you have to have some serious footwork skills in order to get around your opponents. Some might also say you have to have some acting skills to fall down dramatically, hoping the ref will call a foul. I still like baseball, but in soccer there is always something going on.
I have a lot to learn about the rules, but I found it very interesting and entertaining. So, if there is anyone who wants to give me a few lessons when I get back, I would love to learn!!
Watching what ended up being the last Argentina game at Paso (one of the most popular sports bars for watching games)
I tried to get a picture of everyone jumping up and yelling, but wasn't successful. This is the packed restaurant/bar.
A picture taken a couple of weeks later in Uruguay with a poster of the winning team.
No comments:
Post a Comment