Wednesday, March 11, 2015

(Late) Lent Day 15: Poor



I have been contemplating the ways in which I am poor. How am I poor? What could this look like besides money?

In church on Sunday we were looking at Isaiah 35- about redemption and the desert blooming with rejoicing and shouts of joy. Our pastor shared a story of Brother Lawrence. He had been a part of the 30-year war and in his wandering came upon a tree in the middle of winter. As he looked at the bleak surroundings he was struck with the idea that all the tree was waiting for was the restoration of Spring. Our pastor talked about the bleakness of winter and how it can be hard on the Spirit. Now, I must admit, that here in Oregon we have not had a bleak winter. In fact, up until this week, we have had several days that feel much more like May or June than the winter we usually think of full of rain and cold and wind. That is when our spirits are really dampened and we struggle to have the same joy we will have when we all experience an uptake in our Vitamin D. However, many states in the country are experiencing this bleak type of winter.

And then I realized that that is where I am most poor at times- in my spirit. I dry up. I lack vision or joy or insight. Then God reminds me- we are simply waiting for the restoration and we don't even have to wait until Spring, although sometimes we do have to wade through some dark times. Or as a friend of mine writes on her blog, we have to sit in the dark, but we can know that other people are sitting there too (http://bethwoolsey.com/2013/10/holding-hands-in-the-dark/). And eventually there is redemption and joy and hope for the poor spirit of mine.

"The desert and the parched land will be glad; the wilderness will rejoice and blossom. Like the crocus, it will burst into bloom; it will rejoice greatly and shout for joy...Strengthen the feeble hands, steady the knees that give way; say to those with fearful hearts, 'Be strong, do not fear; your God will come, he will come with vengeance; with divine retribution he will come to save you.' Then will the eyes of the blind be opened and the ears of the deaf unstopped. Then will the lame leap like a deer, and the mute tongue shout for joy. Water will gush forth in the wilderness and streams in the desert..." Isaiah 35

No comments: